| | |
Northwest Hospital provides both inpatient and outpatient occupational therapy evaluation and treatment services. We help people whose lives have been disrupted by illness, injury or neurologic changes from stroke or traumatic brain injury. Our goal is to help patients achieve the highest level of function and independence possible.
Our team of licensed, registered occupational therapists works with patients, their families and other members of the patient's rehabilitation team to teach special techniques to facilitate independence in day-to-day activities. During the course of treatment, occupational therapists continually reassess the patient's progress and coordinate with team members to achieve therapy goals.
Occupational therapists also use the Easy Street environment to help patients develop or regain the skills and confidence they need to function in their homes and communities.
- Increasing independence in daily activities and recommendation of appropriate equipment as needed
- Cognitive retraining in basic and higher living skills, such as meal planning and preparation, and money management
- Instruction in conserving physical energy, simplifying work and body mechanics for those with limited endurance
- Training to compensate for low vision or visual perception problems
- Strategies and exercises to improve balance and minimize dizziness due to vestibular disorders
- Improving upper body strength, coordination, mobility and activity tolerance
- Restoring hand function after injury, surgery, illness, repetitive motion problems or age related changes
The Occupational Therapy department hours are from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Therapy services are also available on occasional evenings and weekends by appointment. For more information, please call us at 206-368-1838. If calling after hours, please leave a message and we will return your call the next business day.
The Occupational Therapy department is conveniently located on the main campus of Northwest Hospital in the Center for Medical Rehabilitation. Ample parking is available.
Inpatient occupational therapy requires physician orders and is available 365 days a year.
For outpatient occupational therapy, we recommend that patients check with their insurance providers to see if their policies cover outpatient treatment. Medicare currently covers outpatient occupational therapy with a physician referral under Medicare, Part B.
For more information
Call 206-368-1838 or visit our Referrals page.