| | |
Geropsychiatry is a specialized area of medicine that focuses on the unique physical and emotional needs of the senior adult. These unique issues include loss and adjustments in lifestyle, many times complicated by medical problems. This combination of problems is not experienced by any other age group.
Northwest Hospital & Medical Center has offered geropsychiatric services since 1993. The Geropsychiatric Center is the most comprehensive psychiatric program for senior adults offered in Washington State, providing both inpatient and outpatient care.
Recent American Psychiatric Association statistics show:
For more information about the Northwest Hospital Geropsychiatric Center, please call (206) 368-1747.
- The majority of Americans over age 65 accept the symptoms of depression as a normal part of aging
- Unidentified depression can be misdiagnosed as dementia
- The population over age 65 has the highest suicide rate of any age group in America
- Three million older adults suffer from moderate to severe organic brain disorders
- Accurate diagnosis and treatment of medical and behavioral health problems can greatly enhance your quality of life