Northwest Hospital & Medical Center encourages everyone to learn more about stroke. The Stroke Program at Northwest Hospital offers patients, families and friends access to essential educational resources and support groups.
The following web sites also offer valuable information and resources. Keep in mind that no information should replace medical treatment or your doctor’s advice.
American Stroke Association:
Extensive information on fighting stroke and heart disease. You can also call the Seattle chapter at 206.632.6881.
National Stroke Association:
Extensive stroke education information.
Stroke Awareness Foundation:
SAF strives to improve community awareness for stroke and its treatment through advocacy, education and public awareness programs in the community.
The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association published the following clinical practice guidelines and scientific statements, available free as downloads. Statements address the continuum of care from primary prevention to rehabilitation and secondary prevention.
- Guidelines for Early Management of Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke (2018)
- Guidelines for Adult Stroke Rehabilitation and Recovery (2016)
- Scientific Rationale for the Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria for Intravenous Alteplase in Acute Ischemic Stroke (2015)
- Guidelines for the primary prevention of Stroke (2014)
- Guidelines for the Prevention of Stroke in Patients With Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack (2014)
- Guidelines for the Prevention of Stroke in Women (2014)
- Guidelines for the Management of Spontaneous Intracerebral Hemorrhage (2015)
- Guidelines for the Management of Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage (2012)