We believe that research and clinical trials are critical elements in finding new medications and treatments to help our patients fight cancer. We have long been actively engaged in academic research and continue to participate in a variety of clinical trials. We are committed to educating our patients about the most recent medical findings, research studies and new patient therapies to help empower them to make informed decisions about their care.
Dr. McGonigle offers patients state-of-the-art treatment on clinical research studies, investigator-initiated studies and other studies.
KATHRYN MCGONIGLE, MD
- Phase 2 Prospective Study of Weekly Topotecan and Bevacizumab in Platinum-Resistant Ovarian, Primary Peritoneal, or Fallopian Tube Cancer (OC) KF McGonigle, HG Muntz
This study evaluates the effectiveness of a chemotherapy drug commonly used to treat patients with recurrent ovarian cancer: topotecan, with an antiangiogenesis agent, bevacizumab. Patients with platinum resistant ovarian cancer have a poor prognosis and generally respond poorly to treatment. Compared with prior studies of patients who were treated with bevacizumab or topotecan alone, results compare favorably, suggesting a potential benefit with this combination regimen.
Dr. McGonigle is the principal investigator of this investigator-initiated study. The study, supported by Genentech and GlaxoSmithKline, is being performed in conjunction with colleagues from Puget Sound Oncology Consortium and Virginia Mason Medical Center. Dr. McGonigle presented data from this study at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, May 2008, and Western Association of Gynecologic Oncology, June 2008. She will also be presenting the data at the Marsha Rivkin Ovarian Cancer Research Symposium in Seattle, September 2008.
- McGonigle KF, Vsilev SA, Odom-Maryon TL, Simpson JF. Ovarian histopathology in breast cancer patients receiving tamoxifen. Gynecol Oncol 73:402-406, 1999
- Elkas JC, Holschneider CH, Katz B, Li AJ, Pharm RL McGonigle KF, Berek JS. The use of continuous infusion topotecan in persistent and recurrent ovarian cancer. Int J. Gynecol CA 13:138-141, 2003
- McGonigle KF, Smith DD, Marx HF, Morgan RJ, Vasilev SA, Roy S, Morgan RJ, Wong PT, Simpson JF, Wilczynski SP. Uterine effects of tamoxifen: a prospective study. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 16 (2): 814-820, 2006
- Morgan RJ, Synold TV, Gandara D, Muggia F, Scudder S, Reed R, Margolin K, Raschko J, Leong L, Shibata S, Tetef M, Vasilev S, McGonigle K, Longmate J, Yen Y, Chow W, Somlo G, Carroll M, Doroshow JH. Phase II trial of carboplatin and infusional cyclosporine with alpha-interferon in recurrent ovarian cancer: a California Cancer Consortium Trial. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 17:373-378, 2007.
For a full list of Dr. McGonigle’s publications, click here.