Northwest Hospital & Medical Center is a full-service, acute care community hospital located in North Seattle that provides comprehensive medical, surgical and therapeutic services and attracts patients for primary and specialized care. As a winner of multiple industry awards, Northwest Hospital has been recognized for clinical care, emergency medicine and patient safety excellence. Northwest Hospital has pioneered therapies that have become standards of care in the state and beyond.Patients in north Seattle and north King County communities can receive expert cancer care closer to home from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance at Northwest Hospital. The clinic offers a variety of services, including medical oncology, hematology and radiation oncology, provided by leading medical and radiation oncologists from UW Medicine.
Northwest Hospital & Medical Center is an entity of UW Medicine, which also includes Harborview Medical Center, Valley Medical Center, UW Medical Center, UW Neighborhood Clinics, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine and Airlift Northwest.
Areas of Specialization
- Level I Stroke Center
- Cardiology, cardiac surgery and cardiac rehabilitation
- General surgery and Hernia Center
- Multiple Sclerosis Center
- Neurology and neurosurgery
- Obstetrics, including midwifery program
- Orthopedic joint surgery
- Spine surgery
- Sports medicine
Awards and Recognitions
Since 1960, Northwest Hospital & Medical Center has pioneered treatments and procedures that have become standards of care in our state and beyond.
- American Heart Association: “Cardiac Care” Silver Plus Award
- American Heart/American Stroke Association: “Get With the Guidelines” Silver Plus Award
- American Heart Association: “Mission: Lifeline” Silver Receiving Quality Achievement Award
- HealthGrades: America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care Award and Neurosciences
- Qualis Health: Award of Excellence in Healthcare Quality: “An Enterprise Approach to
Evidence-based Performance Improvement for Central Venous Catheter (CVC) Associated
Complications” (UW Medicine Hospitals)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Hospitals for Patients Who Need Common Care: High
Performing in Heart Failure
- The Leapfrog Group – “A” Grade for Keeping Patients Safe and Meeting the Highest Safety Standards in the U.S.
FY 2016 Statistics
After a successful community effort to raise funds for a hospital outside of downtown Seattle,Northwest Hospital opened in 1960. It quickly began developing its 33-acre campus with the addition of new facilities and services. An additional 11 acres were added to the hospital’s footprint with the opening of the Northwest Outpatient Medical Center, which includes specialty services and an outpatient surgery center. Today, Northwest Hospital & Medical Center is a full-service medical center, providing a critical resource for emergency, inpatient and outpatient care to the surrounding community. Northwest Hospital & Medical Center became an entity of UW Medicine in January 2010.